Your SEO optimized title

Wat Phra Si Sanphet (1448) Ayutthaya Historical Park


Wat Phra Si Sanphet (1448 A.D.)


Wat Phra Si Sanphet (1448 A.D.)
  • In 1448 A.D. King Borommatrailokanat donated the original palace grounds for the building of a royal monastery, and the Royal Palace was moved to a new site further north. Monks did not dwell in this wat.
  • Wat Phra Si Sanphet was used for royal ceremonies and rituals, and to house the burial remains of the kings and members of the royal family in the three bell-shaped chedi which are still standing prominently today. There are lines of columns which once supported the eaves of the viharn luang, with their lotus shaped decorations.
  • Between the chedi are the remains of the bases of mondops. 
  • The principal viharn, erected in 1499, housed a standing bronze Buddha image 16 metres high, covered in gold, named Phra Si Sanphet.
  • When Ayutthaya was sacked in 1767 A.D by the Burmese, the gold and decorations were looted. Later, King Rama I had the badly damaged Buddha statue removed for preservation in a specially built chedi within the Wat Phra Chetuphon, and had installed a replacement Buddha image called Phralokanat.




Wat Si Sanphet Ayutthaya


  • The layout of Wat Phra Si Sanphet needs to be seen in the context of the history of is place of construction. Tradition has it that King U-Thong previously constructed there three prasats in the mid 14 C and that in 1448 the spot was declared sacred for Kings only and monks were not permitted use of the Temple. In 1491 King Rama Thibodi constructed the two chedi in the images here to contain the ashes of family. The east chedi contained the ashes of his father King Borom Trailokanath who ruled 1448 to 1488 and the west side chedi contained the ashes of his brother King Borom Rachaithirat who ruled 1488 to 1491.
  • In 1499 a Viharn or hall was constructed to the east side under the reign of King Rama Thibodi. It became world famous and housed a Buddha image called Phra Si Sanphet. The building was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767 and the Buddha image looted never to be seen again. The entire  temple complex is named after this Buddha image.
  • The third remaining chedi to the west side was constructed during the reign of King Borom Rachathirat IV who reigned between 1529 to 1533. To the west end today are the brick foundation remains of a cross shaped viharn constructed during the reign of King Narai.
  • In 1767 there were three gilded Chedis, two significant viharns and three gilded side buildings which stored sacred artifacts. All but the three chedi were destroyed by the Burmese and the two west side chedis had to be restored so that today the only original is the east side chedi.