Lop Buri Tourist Places
Wat Sam Yot Lop Buri Thailand
- Lop Buri is located north of Ayutthaya and its tourist relevance today are the Khmer ruins of the 13th century and the buildings of King Narai 's reign. Lop Buri was a major town during the Mon Dvaravati Kingdom (6th to 11th centuries) and was a provincial capital of the Khmer Empire in Thailand.
- The major Khmer monuments are the three spire laterite shrine named Phra Prang Sam Yod and Wat Mahatat.
- Lop Buri was originally a Mon city until conquered by the Khmers in the 11th century as evidenced by Khmer inscriptions.
- Wat Sam Yod is made of laterite with stucco decorations and comprises three prasats in the Bayon style, based on cross shaped bases connected by ante rooms and vaulted passageways. The central Prasat is dedicated to Buddha seated on the serpent, '' Mucalinda '' . The presence of a linga suggests to some that the shrine was originally Hindu.
Lop Buri did not suffer destruction as did Ayutthaya and the imprint of
the Tai has still survived. Of particular importance are the grounds
of the Lop Buri Palace enclosed by massive walls still standing in the
center of the modern town. Dusit Maha Prasat Hall (1685) is the
substantial survivor of King Narai's buildings. Chantra Paisan Pavilion
in the palace grounds is another important surviving building. It is
now part of the Lop Buri Fine Arts Museum.Also now part of the Museum is the Phiman Mongkut built by King Mongkut
in the 19th century. This mansion now contains some fine examples of
Ayutthaya art style bronze and porcelain.
- For those with a sense of history, just north of King Narai 's palace lie the ruins of the grand palace of Phaulkon, the Greek adviser to King Narai who controlled Siam's relations with the Europeans and who tried to convert the monarchy to Catholicism, ultimately giving cause for his execution on King Narai's demise and the 1688 Revolution.
Wat Sam Yot Lop Buri Thailand
- King Narai constructed his palace at Lop buri in the late 17th Century. In Thai it is called '' Phra Narai Ratchanivet ''. This is well worth a visit for its historical and architectural significance. Some of the throne halls within this compound are now galleries of the Somdet Phra Narai National Museum displaying cultural relics and artifacts from the Prehistoric period until the present.
- Narai's Palace contains 24 architectural features to see. These are, the fortification walls, the 4 forts at each corner of the fortified walls, the 8 gates (as depicted in the images here), the Royal Elephant Stable, the Reception Hall for foreign envoys, the Twelve Halls for Treasures, Chanthara Phisan Hall, Phiman Mongkut Hall, Phra Thinang Visuthivinitchai, Phra Thinang Chaiyasatrakorn, Dusit Thanya Mahaprasat Hall, Suthassawan Hall, Phrao Chao Hao Hall, the water tank, Thim Buildings and Pra Pretiep Buildings.
- The Palace now comprises architecture from two periods in Thai history, the original 17th Century works of King Narai and the 19th Century additions constructed on the initiative of King Mongkut who arranged for the restoration of the Palace.
The original Palace was
built in 1666. King Narai built it 100 kilometers north of Ayutthaya as
a protection buffer when the Dutch were threatening Ayutthaya. It is
constructed on the east side of the Lopburi River on a mound which
offers views of any ships coming north up the River and where for 6
months of each year the surrounding fields turned into lakes in the
rainy season each year.
Lop Buri Mahat