Your SEO optimized title

Bang Pa-in Summer Palace Ayutthaya


Bang Pa In Palace Complex Thailand


  • The Summer Palace (Bang Pa-In Palace) is located 30 kilometers south of Ayutthaya on route to Ayutthaya and is on a small island called Bang Pa-In in the Chao Phraya River. The Palace was commissioned in 1632 by King Prasat Thong in the late Ayutthaya Period.
  • It was deserted following the sacking of Ayutthaya and the founding of the Chakri Dynasty in Bangkok until its restoration 80 years later. The Palace was revived by King Chulalongkorn of the Chakri Dynasty. Most of what we see today was constructed between 1872-1889.
  • The Palace is a collection of different styles of buildings set in a landscape and water setting. The mansions reflect Chinese, Swiss, Khmer, Thai and general European styles of architecture. As with other Thai Royal palaces this compound is divided into two sections, the Inner Palace and the Outer Palace. The Palace grounds are significant in that the mixture of styles reflects the era of transformation, influences and later westernization of the period.
  • Bang Pa-In Palace is open to the public daily from 8.30 am until 3.30 pm. Tourists enter through the South Gate where there is a shop at which you can purchase guide booklets and we strongly recommend you acquire these first so as to greatly enhance your understanding and visit experience.
  • The History of Bang Pa-In Palace. A local, Chao Phraya Kalahomee Suriyawongsa became King of Ayutthaya in 1630 and ruled until 1655. He became known as King Prasat Thong. King Prasat Thong had his home on the Island and this was also where he was born and later declared King. A pavilion, '' Aisawan-dhipaya-asana'' was constructed to mark what the King declared was '' born here and made King''. He subsequently arranged the digging of canals which remain today. After that time the Ayutthaya Kings made Bang Pa-In their residence which was close to the City of Ayutthaya. The original works of Kinmg Prasat Thong still there to see today are, the Pagoda at Chumpon Nigayararm Monastery, the Canal that cuts through the existing islet marking the division between the Summer Palace and Nives- Dhammaprawat Monastery and some of the ponds around the Summer Palace. King Narai was born in 1632 and to mark the occasion King Prasat Thong had the Pavilion built over Bang Pa-In Islet. The Palace became deserted upon the destruction of Ayutthaya by the Burmese in 1767.
  • Restoration commenced during the reign of Rama IV. During the reign of Rama V most of what you see today was constructed. Henceforth the Summer Palace was used as a location to receive state visitors and hold state banquets. An example of such events was the reception in 1890 for Grand Duke Czarvitch (later Czar Nicholas II of Russia) and Prince George of Greece.



Bang Pa In Palace Complex Thailand



Bang Pa In Palace Complex Thailand


Bang Pa-in Summer Inner Palace Ayutthaya

  • The Summer Palace is divided into two sections, the Outer Palace and the Inner Palace. The two areas were divided by a wall around each compound and an inter connected canal also served as another dividing line. Therefor gates were provided along the wall or across the canal (as with Sakhonprapas Gate). There are eight Gates one can still see today.
  • The major attractions in the Inner Court are; Phra Thinang Wehart Chamrun Residential Hall, Phra Thinang Uthayan Phumisathian, Residential Hall, Ho Withun Thasana (Tower), Bubpa Prapas Pavilion, the various houses and mansions for members of the Inner Court, the Memorial to H.M.Queen Sunanda Kumariratna and the Rajanusorn Memorial.
  • Phra Thinang Uthayan Phumisathian. The existing building was constructed in 1994 and is made of iron and concrete. It is of Victorian architecture design. The original was destroyed by fire in 1939. The original was built in 1877 and was made of wood. Today the building serves as a residence for Their Majesties and is a place to receive State visitors.
  • Phra Thinang Wehart Chamrun Residential Hall. This two storey residence was completed in 1889 and took ten years to construct. It is built in a Chinese style and has Chinese decor and art through out. This is the most interesting and well worth a visit within. 
  • Ho Withun Thasana. Ho Withun Thasana Tower was constructed in 1881. It is, as depicted here in the image, a dodecahedral three storey tower about 30 meters high. There are 112 internal steps to the top beneath the crescent roof. The building is colored red and yellow and is a mix of European styles. Visitors can climb the stairs for the surrounding views.
  • The Memorial to H.M.Queen Sunanda Kumariratna. The Memorial to H.M.Queen Sunanda Kumariratna is a telling contrast to the monuments enjoyed by the Kings and their families, it illustrates how mortal each of us are. H.M.Queen Sunanda Kumariratna died in a boating accident on the Chao Phraya River. The vessel in which she was traveling was overturned and she was trapped inside and left to struggle for her life. She was then five months pregnant. She died because the then law prescribed that any person who touched a member of the Royal Family would be put to death, hence no one dared to touch her to save her, in fact due to the command of then court guard Phraya Montri, all were forbidden from approaching the royal consort or getting near the royal vessel.
  • The Mansions and Houses of members of the Inner Court. On the northern and eastern sides of the Inner Court are numerous brick and or wooden mansions and houses for members of the Inner Court. Essentially this refers to ladies and their children. These are all in western style.



Bang Pa In Palace Complex Thailand