Lop Buri Kingdom
Lop Buri Palace
- Over the past 1,500 years Lop Buri has enjoyed the status of being an important political and administrative center. Prehistoric settlements were here at Ban Tha Khae and Ban Khok Charoen and from 7th – 11th C the Mon people called the Kingdom Lavoh. The Khmer conquered the region to incorporate it in to the Khmer Empire and it was called Lavapura. For 300 year it was an important military garrison for the Khmers, a cultural centre for art and religion.
- In the 14th C the king of U Thong, Ramathibodi, installed his son as governor, fortified the city with walls and moats to be a strategic centre in the wars with Sukhothai. In 1388 it became a vassal of the Kingdom of Ayutthaya. In the 17th C Lop Buri became the second capital for the Ayutthayan Kingdom and a political center for visits by the Kingdom of France, jesuits and others such as Constantine Phaulkon who sought to convert Siam to Catholicism through influence over the Monarchy of Siam.
- In the 19th C Rama III restored it to this concept of an alternative and second Capital to Bangkok. Today the ruins of these former fortifications and palaces are available to be seen, as are the ancient Khmer Temples.