Chiang Mai North Thailand Tourism Travel Guide
Chiang Mai Fort
Chiang Mai North Thailand Travel & Places Of Interest
- The Thailand Government defines North Thailand as consisting of both (1) the 84,000 square kilometre comprising 8 provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Lampang, Lamphun, Phrae and Mae Hong Son, which area originally comprised the Lan Na principalities detailed in the North Thailand History link (the Upper North), and (2) the 86,000 square kilometres of the Lower North, comprising the provinces of Kamphaeng Phet, Tak, Sukhothai, Uttaradit, Uthai Thani, Nakhon Sawan, Phichit Phitsanulok and Phetchabun, which area originally comprised the Kingdoms of Sukhothai and later the northern parts of the Kingdom of Ayutthaya, Thon Buri and Bangkok Empires.
- The discernable differences between the Upper and Lower North Thailand is explained in the Northern Thailand section.
- Chiang Mai is both the name of Chiang Mai Province and its capital city, Chiang Mai City. Chiang Mai City is the principal point of arrival for tourists to the region. The Lan Na principalities are also the home of the Khong Muang (Tai Yuan) people as discussed in the North Thailand people links.
- Chiang Mai is both the name of Chiang Mai Province in Northern Thailand and the name of its capital City. This can be confusing to tourists.
- Chiang Mai City was founded in the 13 C on the Ping River.
The major tourist attractions in the region we divide into places of historical interest, places of art and architectural interest, the Temples of Chiang Mai, the National Parks of Northern Thailand, the Museums of Northern Thailand, the zoos and other places to see Thailand wildlife, the locations to see ethnic diversity and amusement parks and various tourism attractions.
Elephant Camp, Chiang Mai
Temples Inside the Chiang Mai City Moated Area
Chiang Mai Temples North of Chiang Mai City Moat
Chiang Mai Temples West of Chiang Mai City Moat
Chiang Mai Temples East of Chiang Mai City Moat
Chiang Mai Temples South of Chiang Mai City Moat
- Chiang Rai Tourist Map
- Wat Phra Kaeo
- Wat Phra Singh
- The Emerald Buddha Origins and History
- The Emerald Buddha Origins Continued