Chiang Rai Tourist Guide
- Chiang Rai was founded by King Mangrai in 1262 on the site of Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong which was constructed there in 940.
- Chiang Rai City is named after him (Mang Rai). It was a stronghold in the Tai Yuan Kingdom but in 1286 the Kingdom moved its capital to Wiang Kum Kam in 1286 and later to Chiang Mai in 1296. In 1434 the Emerald Buddha was discovered at Wat Phra Kaeo.
- Following the Burmese wars the Chiang Rai city was devastated and had to be repopulated with migrants from Chiang Mai, Lampang and Lumphun in 1844.