Wiang Kun Kam
Wiang Kun Kam Stupa
Wiang Kum Kam (the former capital city of King Mangrai) (1288)
- King Mangrai founded this settlement around 1286-1288, making it the capital until he moved to Chiang Mai in 1296. He fortified it and enclosed it with a moat by diverting the flow of the Ping River. Subject to constant flooding, the site was buried under mud when the river changed during the Burmese reign. Restoration of the area began in 1980, and it is now a historical park. The Wat Kan Thom lies in the centre with a Lan Na style chedi and new viharn built in 1987.
Wiang Kum Kam Temple Foundations