Your SEO optimized title

Wat Suan Dok Chiang Mai


Wat Suan Dok Chiang Mai


  • The grounds of this temple were originally royal botanical gardens.
  • Way Suan Dok was founded in 1371 when King Ku Na ordered the construction of the temple and chedi to house a holy relic that the monk Sumana had discovered following a vision. Upon its entombment in the main chedi it reportedly split into two pieces. One piece was buried at this wat, and the other at Wat Doi Suthep.
  • The interesting feature of this wat is the main chedi and the large collection of other chedi containing the remains of several generations of members of the Chiang Mai royal family, relocated here from many different sites by Princess Dararatsami in 1909. 
  • Khru Ba Srivichai rebuilt a large central preaching hall in 1932. It contains an imposing Buddha image standing back to back with a seated Buddha.
  • The bot houses another seated bronze Buddha cast by King Muang Kaeo in 1504.  Known as Phra Chao Kao Tue it is 4.7 metres high.
  • Today there is also a Buddhist university within the compounds of Wat Suan Dok.



Wat Suan Dok Chiang Mai