Your SEO optimized title

Thon Buri Palace (Wang Derm Palace) Bangkok

  • Wang Derm Palace or Thon Buri Palace is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River adjacent to Wat Arun which is also another tourist location of importance. The site is important for historical as well as architectural reasons.
  • The word '' Wang '' means a fortress or fortified outpost such as we often see in Northern Thailand at Lampang and Sukhothai. This Palace was built by King Taksin The Great in 1768.
  • Within this fortified complex was Wat Arun, Wat Molee Lokayaram and Fort Wichayen (later called Waichaiprasit Fort). The Thais refer to this place as '' Phra Racha Wang Derm '' meaning '' the original palace ''.
  • When Rama I ascended the throne as discussed elsewhere the Palace complex was moved to the east side of the Chao Phraya River and the area of the original Palace was reduced when the external walls were demolished and the two Wats given there own identifiable land.
  • When visiting the Palace area the following are the major buildings to see.
(1)  Wichaiprasit Fort
  • Wichayen Fort as it was first named was constructed during the reign of King Narai. There was also another fort on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River. At times these two Forts were joined by a metal chain which crossed the river just below the water level to prevent unauthorized vessels traveling upstream and in land.
(2)  The Throne Hall
  • The Throne Hall was constructed in 1768 and is in classic Ayutthaya Tai style. Here there are two adjacent buildings forming a '' T '' shape, as can also be seen at the Front Palace which is now the National Museum in Bangkok. The north section is the Throne Hall which was designed to hold important ceremonies such as holding court and the southern building was where King Taksin lived.
(3)  King Taksin's Shrine

(4)  King Pinklao's residence

(5)  The Whale Head Shrine

(6)  The Chinese Styled Buildings
  • The Chinese style of design was in vogue in this period and many examples of Chinese art and architecture can be seen in Bangkok. King Taksin himself was half Chinese. His name was originally '' Sin '' and he came from Tak, hence '' Taksin ''. Now these buildings are use to museum traditional weapons of the period and store information concerning Taksin' s war achievements against the Burmese and others. Additionally there are exhibits of the Taksin period, paintings and antiques.