Your SEO optimized title

Wat Benchamabophit White Marble Wat


Wat Benchamabophit


Wat Benchamabophit (White Marble Wat)
  • Wat Benchamabophit in Dusit is a relatively modern Buddhist Temple designed to serve the Royal household. The temple was constructed during the reign of King Chulalongkorn in 1899 after the construction of the palace in Dusit.
  • Wat Benchamabiphit translates as the Temple of the fifth King and is made of Italian marble, hence the popular name, ''the white marble temple''.
  • The main features to see are, the ordination hall (called Ubosot in Thai), its design and art features, the Buddha image inside the hall named Phra Buddhajinaraja, the adjoining temple buildings, the cloisters to the rear which house the collection of 52 bronze images of Buddha.
  • The Buddha image was caste in 1920 and is a reproduction of the Buddha image at Wat Mahathat in Phitsanulok City. Beneath this image are the ashes of King Chulalongkorn.
  • Apart from seeing the well proportioned and lovely temple layout, Wat Benchamabophit also houses the most impressive collection of Buddhist Bronzes. This collection includes original and copied works from all relevant artistic periods of Southeast Asian Buddhist art. The collection is far more extensive than that at Bangkok National Museum.



Wat Benchamabophit in Dusit



Wat Benchamabophit Bangkok


  • Wat Benchamabophit is on Nakhon Pathom Road beside the Prem Prachakorn Canal. It is in Dusit near each of Government House, Ananta Samakom Throne Hall and Dusit Palace. Bangkok Zoo is also near also. The first two images here show the front and rear facades of the Ordination Hall. Entrance to this Hall is usually from the left side door.
  • To the rear of the Ordination Hall is the ''Wiharn Kod '' where the art collection is displayed. Each of these bronze Buddhas is a fine example of bronze art, not only from Thailand but elsewhere in Asia. They can be seen in the three corridors surrounding the marble slab courtyard at the rear of the Ordination Hall.
  • To the left side of the front of the Ordination Hall are the temple grounds where a canal separates the '' Buddha '' area from the secular temple functions area. Here the Thais also ''give merit '' by releasing turtles and fish into the canal water. One can relax in the small Thai style shelter over looking the canal and facing the front of the Ordination Hall. The Thais call this Sala Nam Thao Worachan. The Sala is beside the small red bridge called Sapan Thouy.
  • Behind Sala Nam Thao Worachan is another Sala with four gables and containing large drums. This is ''Sala Si Somdet '' which means it was constructed for four royalties. Next to Sala Si Somdet is a group of four buildings as shown in the image here , called ''Phra Thinang Song Phanuat ''. These buildings were originally located at Wat Phra Kaeow (the Temple of the Emerald Buddha) where Rama V resided whilst practising Buddhism as a monk. The buildings were relocated and became the residence of the abbot of Wat Benchamabophit. These buildings have significant architectural historical significance and are well worth seeing.



Wat Benchamabophit Bangkok



Wat Benchamabophit Bangkok